Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Protect your kids in the car

Protect your kids in the car

by

Robert L. Fielding

What’s the first thing you do after you put the key in the ignition and started the car?  Fasten your seat belt, right?  Right!  You wouldn’t dream of going one yard without your seat belt on – that’s dangerous, right?  Right!

Then why do you let your child travel without wearing a safety belt.  Answer: I don’t.  But many do.

This morning, I saw a little girl, maybe three or four – climbing over the gear shift into the front seat, probably to be with her Dad.  I drew level at a signal and pointed to my belt.
  “Fasten her belt,” I shouted.  Nothing.
We both wound our windows down and I shouted again.  The guy’s reply was unbelievable.
  “She refuses!” he said and threw up the palms of his hands to the sky – “What can I do?”

I stuck at it.
  “Just do it!” I said, smiling.
He made his daughter sit straight and he fastened her belt.  The lights changed, we both waved and drove off.    “One kids life saved,” I thought.

Next question: “Why don’t parents make their children wear seat belts?”  “You got me!”

Now wearing a seat belt must be onerous to a child – kids like to move around, explore – all that.  But their safety in a car is paramount.
  “What to do if my kid hates putting the belt on?”
  “Give her a teddy bear and tell her that Ted needs protecting – them belt ‘em both up.  Bingo – Teddy and kid safe, and you can concentrate on the road in front of you.  Use your head.

  “That makes sense, doesn’t it?”
  “SURE IT DOES!”
KEEP YOUR KIDS SAFE IN THE CAR – IT MAKES SENSE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home